Monday, July 30, 2007

My (New) New Car

So the Tercel Wasn't really doing it for me. It was slow, clunky, cheap feeling, and got worse gas mileage than my dad's 900 due to it's bad cylinder head. So when I saw this car on craigslist, I told my dad about it, and on Saturday night, we went and took a look at it, and (obviously), ended up buying it.
It's a Platinum Grey 1991 Saab 900 3-Door 2.0 Liter 16-Valve, with 129,000 miles, for $1450. But there's something different about it. Why does it have Bosch Fog Lamps, a sunroof and a chin spoiler. And why is there an extra badge in the grill?

Ohhh...that explains it.
A standard 16-Valve 2.0 liter pumps out 138 horsepower, unless you have one of these...
...that little Mitsubishi TE-05 turbo is good for an additional 22 horses.
When that little needle above the fuel gauge swings right, I can't help but smile.
Comes with the original Clarion anti-theft tape deck (which won't accept the anti-theft code, so it won't work), and a separate equalizer...
...and one of the most important features of all, a 5-Speed.

I'm absolutely smitten with this car. If you floor it, it takes off like a rocket ship, especially in second gear. An added plus is that it gets the best gas mileage out of all the 900 models for 1991, due to the stick-shift and the turbo. There are a few things wrong with it (no stereo, handbrake doesn't work, needs exhaust hangers, the latch for the rear hatch needs to be cleaned up before it completely fails and then I'm screwed, no a/c belt, and I need a new fog lamp). The other thing that doesn't work properly, although I don't care because I never use it, is the tach. When you wind the tach up to 4500, it hangs up, snaps to 7000, snaps to 0, then back to 4500, and then to whatever the correct rpm is.

Overall, the car just feels right. It handles fantastically, goes like stink, doesn't pull and stops straight.

I love it.

Oh and the Tercel? Once we finish with replacing the cylinder head, it's going to be my sisters first car.

1 Comments:

Blogger D-£ said...

Nice! I miss the 900 I had briefly, and would absolutely buy another one. It also makes me wish I had gotten a turbo on my car. Oh well...

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home