Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore...

As I was sitting here drinking a Newcastle, watching the midday news (KSTP, I hate 'em but there the only news on at 11), after the story about the striking Teamsters at the Marathon/Ashland Refinery in Newport, they ran a story about how NWA has a tentative agreement with their flight sim technicians, which according to KSTP means that NWA now has agreements with all their labor groups.

Cue blood boiling.

As you may or may not know, my father is one of the striking Northwest Airlines mechanics. He most definitely does NOT have an agreement

About a month ago, WCCO had a news report which claimed that NWA had agreements with all their labor groups except the flight attendants. I emailed them a complaint, talked about various things, and said that my father and all the striking mechanics, cleaners and custodians deserved an apology. At the end of the email I put "I realize that on small voice has no hope of affecting change, especially when compared to the tremendous amount of advertising revenue you recieve each month from NWA", or something to that effect. Shortly after I sent the email, I forgot about it.

The next afternoon, I was lying on the couch, when the phone rings. My sister answered it, brought it out to me and said "It's WCCO". Cool.

Me: "Hello"
Phone: "Hello, this is (I can't remember his name), Vice President of News Programming (or something like that). I just wanted to let you know that although you may think that one small voice may have no hope of affecting change, in this case it has."
Me: "OK"
Phone: "I just wanted to let you know that I will be putting out a memo that the mechanics do not in fact have an agreement."
Me: "Wow, uh thank you very much."
Phone: "Goodbye (click)"

Guess what? As of today I have still not heard the newscaster on WCCO say that NWA has agreements with all their labor groups, they now say something like "the mechanics are still on strike", or something like that.

But KSTP STILL does it. I personally haven't complained to them, but I kno other people have. After their report today, I went to their website on my laptop (by the way, KSTP has the worst news website I've ever seen), and went to their contact page. Most websites have a specific complaint, or what number to call to file a complaint. KSTP: none.

So I decided to just call the main switchboard.
Phone: "KSTP how can I help you?"
Me: "Hi, I'd like to file a complaint."
Phone: "OK, let me transfer you to the correct person."
Phone 2: "Hi KSTP."
Me: "Um, I'd like to file a complaint"
Phone2: "OK, and what's the complaint?"
Me: "(runs through complaint)"
Phone2: "OK sir, I'll run this down to the newsroom"
Me: "Thank you."

Will my call have any effect? Probably not. I know I did have an effect with WCCO, but with KSTP, I really doubt it.

But you know what? I think I'm gonna put their switchboard on speed-dial for the future.

1 Comments:

Blogger Isaac Halvorson said...

I'm so proud of you...

But seriously, good job man.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home