Thursday, June 29, 2006

Road Trip Chronicles Vol. 15: Rest Area #64-SSP

I woke up early, perhaps a little too early, as I arrived at the EAA museum about a half hour before it opened. So I took a little nap in my car.
North American F-86 Sabre
Northrop F-89 Scorpion
North American T-6G Texan, previously flown by the Tuskeegee Airmen
Taylor Aerocar
Stits DS-1 Baby Bird, the worlds smallest monoplane (6' 3" wingspan)
Hispano HA-1112 Buchon (Spanish license built Messerschmitt Me-109, with a Rolls Royce Merlin instead of a Daimler Benz DB-605)
Chance Vought F4U-4 Corsair
Grumman J2F-6 Duck, license built by Columbia Aircraft
Bugatti Model 100 Racer
Wittman DFA "Little Bonzo"
Curtiss P-6E Hawk Replica
de Havilland DH-98 Mosquito
Chester Special Jeep
Christen Eagles
Rolls Royce Merlin with the valve cover off
Pitcairn PCA-2 "Miss Champion" autogyro
Culver PQ-14
Lockheed P-38 Lightning painted up as Dick Bong's "Marge"
North American P-64 (the last one left of six built). Basically, a T-6 Texan turned into a single seat fighter
Supermarine Spitfire Mk. IX
Crosby CR-4
Laird Super Solution replica
Rutan VariViggen
de Havilland DHC-1B-2 Chipmunk
Wittman D-12 "Bonzo"
Heinkel-Hirth HeS 8A engine, the type that powered the Heinkel 280, the competitor of the Me-262
Bede BD-5
North American XP-51 Mustang, one of the prototype Mustangs
Interior of a Scaled Composites Voyager replica
"Mechanix Illustrated" Corben Baby Ace
Ryan STA Super Sport
Loving/Wayne WR-1 racer "Love"
Wright Glider replica
When I left Oshkosh, I took a two lane highway West to hit 94, and I stopped at a gas station that had an ERCO Ercoupe mounted on the roof.

Unfortunately, the rest of my trip wasn't very exciting. I drove home without my seatbelt on (the female end broke in the EAA museum parking lot), hit some really heavy rain, and stopped at a thrift store and got Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego for the Mac.

Number Of Days: 13
Total Mileage: approx. 4000
Total Cost: about $400-$450
Number of museums visited: 12, and two gate guards
Number of McChickens and Double Cheeseburgers Consumed: too many

In the end, I think it was definitely worth it, and I cant wait to go on another road trip in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home