Monday, June 11, 2007

Cause Of Death: Cancer

Huh, my wheel looks like it's pushed back pretty far...

Oh Snap!
And the other side.

So yeah, I really had been having a pretty good day. Tips were excellent (I ended up with $52, a new record for me), and at two o-clock I saw the flyover from the WWII memorial dedication flying back into Fleming Field (11 AT-6's, 1 BT-13, 3 B-25's, and 3 P-51's).

My troubles began with my first delivery of the day, to the Postal Workers Credit Union on Robert St., which has a very steep entrance ramp. I didn't realize just how steep it was, until I hit it at about 20mph, scraping the radiator brace on the pavement. When I got back to the store, it looked like the right side wheel had a lot of negative camber. Then, about an hour later, I backed out of a parking spot and rode the right wheel up on the curb. Shortly after that, I noticed that my car was pulling hard to the right, and I had to have the wheel cranked about a half turn to the left to keep it straight. At around 3:10, I had to make a delivery to the Sherwin Williams Paint Store that's next to Hollywood Video and Big Dollar. Then I cruised through the parking lot, over three speed bumps, and then I turned east on Marie Ave. and I got in the turn lane to go north on Robert St.. When I hit my brakes, it felt like the steering wheel broke loose from the column. When I tried to take off again, there was a horrible grinding noise from the wheel. And now you know the rest of the story.

Sidenote: my dad called a friend of his who works as a mechanic at a Chevy dealership, to see if he had any leads on any cheap cars. When he said the words "suspension problem" to this guy, he apparently said, "oh, did the a-arm mounts rust out?"

Meanwhile, I'd like to remember Maggie in happier times...
At the Glenn H. Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, NY, 1,016 miles from home.

2 Comments:

Blogger D-£ said...

It's always sad to lose your first car. I still mourn the 'Stiva. Also it's great that a car is known to have A-Arm rusting off issues. That's not really that big a deal.

4:30 AM  
Blogger AP said...

Not a big deal at all. Hell, something like that'll buff out. Right?

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home