Friday, August 04, 2006

An Idea...

Two quotes I've heard recently have given me an idea for a project, a project which I am going to call the Robert Street Project.

First, let me give you the quotes. On my dad's birthday, July 12th, the family was driving from the Glockenspiel to Culver's for dessert, when my brother said, having just learned that a Culver's had gone in on Robert Street, said "ah, the ever-changing chameleon that is Robert Street". I don't know why, but for some reason that has stuck with me. Then a few nights ago, while driving with my dad and sister, shopping for pretzel sticks, a special ice cube tray, motor oil and an oil filter, my father said "This street has changed so much. I don't even remember what some of these places used to be". Again, for no apparent reason, it stuck with me.

Then this morning, while waiting at the depot for the newspaper truck to arrive, it hit me. I want to document the stores on Robert Street right now, in between 494 and Butler. I want to take pictures of every business on Robert Street, write down what they used to be, if I can remember them, and post them to a series of blogs, each dedicated to a certain section of Robert. I'll try and spread the word, and get people to visit, take a look, and if they know what a building used to be, to leave a comment about it.

Crazy? Yeah, probably. But I want to do it, and I don't know why.

1 Comments:

Blogger D-£ said...

I have had this idea in my head since I was a wee boy. I would like to get in on this project on the ground level, before it gets huge and commercial.

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home