Friday, March 07, 2008

Spring Break '08

Shuttle Mission 3008: Trip To The Sun

So this year was my first year in college that I haven't been able to go home for spring break. All in all, it's been pretty unspectacular. But here are some highlights:

  • Last Thursday, went to a bar in Letellier Manitoba called Oscar's. Initially, we were going to go to a bar called Pete's Tavern, but when we got to the border, we were informed that Pete's was closed. We found out from the bartender at Oscar's (who used to be the accountant for Pete's) that the owner was spending $3,000 a month on cocaine, and the government took over the bar and will be reopening it in the spring, but without strippers. Oscar's was pretty cool though, and there are plans to go back in the future.
  • Coming back to the US after Oscar's, I met the biggest jerk of a border guard ever. When I pulled up, the wind was howling at about 40 m.p.h, and I couldn't hear him when he was asking us questions, I kept saying "huh?", and he yelled at me to cut the noise (sorry officer, I cant control the wind).
  • 40 m.p.h. wind+crappy rear tires+light snow+ fog+ black ice+passing semis at 70=fun.
  • Friday through Monday: flight lessons (Warrior simulator SF4001 sucks).
  • On Sunday i found a cassette of Dire Straits greatest hits for $.50. Score.
  • Monday night: I spent four hours helping another guy search Grand Forks for a Chinese flag. None were to be found.
  • Tuesday morning I bought a Gamecube, because they were clearing out brand new ones at Sears for $20.
  • Tuesday afternoon I headed out for the Second Annual Mooreton ND Spring Break Trip held at the Johnson residence, for those of us who are too poor to go anywhere else. Pong, saunas, and me and another guy having to run around the house in 3 foot deep snow in our underwear.
  • We ate at the Wilkin. If for some strange reason you're in Breckenridge Minnesota, go there. Great food, great atmosphere and fantastic service at a reasonable price.
  • I got a really nice nearly new cork dartboard for free.
  • I've watched Biodome three times in the past two days.
  • Good Gamecube games are difficult to find.
  • I've been playing lots of NHLPA '93. Greatest hockey game ever.
  • Looking forward to the Sioux/Huskies hockey series this weekend. Hopefully the Sioux can sweep and end the season on a 17 game unbeaten streak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home