Friday, June 13, 2008

Ferns

In 2005, the Como Zoo Conservatory apparently remodeled, and got rid of the old fern room and built a whole new complex with a new fern room. Whenever I used to go to the Conservatory, my favorite place in the whole place was the fern room. A while back, my family and I visited the conservatory, and I eagerly was looking forward to going to the fern room and visiting an old friend. I walked around the central room looking for the doors to the fern room. I kept passing where I thought it was, but it wasn't there. Finally, we walked through a pair of doors, and I was heartbroken. But first, let's compare and contrast:

The new fern room...

...and the old fern room.


To me, the new fern room is too new, too clean, too bright, and too dry. The old fern room was kind of run down and neglected looking. It also felt more naturally lit and rainforest-y. It had these weird little benches like the one in the picture above, which was a little alcove with a bench and a small fountain/puddle/pond thing behind it. It was wet. The floors were always soaked. And it was hot and humid. I loved it.

I want the old fern room back. But it's not going to happen. The best I can do is blow up the postcard the picture above is from, and hang it on my wall.

Or when I'm rich I can recreate it.

Whichever.

1 Comments:

Blogger B. said...

The old fern room was pretty great in the middle of winter, for relieving dry sinuses or a head cold.

You have to think about these things when you live in near-arctic climates.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home